About Me

I'm a freelance artist, designer and demonstrator and have been involved in arts and craft my whole life in one way or another. I design stamps for top British company Personal Impressions, under the "Lindsay Mason Designs" brand, as well as papers, templates and other crafting products. I'm a certified Ranger Educator and my first book,"Stamping", was published in 2009. I also design regular projects for Crafts Beautiful magazine and have made guest appearances from time to time on QVC. I've recently joined You Tube under the name of LindsayMason1000 where I'm posting short technique videos and you can buy my paintings and hand crafted pieces from my Etsy shop. My work takes me all around the country demonstrating stamping, papercrafts and general inkiness! When I'm not working, I love gardening, church & community activities, nature watching, journalling, music and theatre and just relaxing at home. Email me at: ljm.design1@virginmedia.com

Sunday 16 August 2009

Catch up time!

No photos today because I need some new batteries for my camera before I can upload them! I will add pics as soon as I can though. It's been great to have a little bit of time to relax, with a smattering of making card samples thrown in of course.

We had a lovely day out last week when we drove up to Leek (over the rather nail biting Cat & Fiddle road) and found a "nature park" which was an area of land which had been left to run wild except for the pathways. We stood on a little stone bridge overlooking the stream and saw dragonflies dancing above the water and the breathtaking sight of a kingfisher which shot from beneath us and had gone the full length of the stream almost before we had registered the dazzling blue plumage. This was only the third kingfisher that I'd seen and it made my day! We did also see a mole which, unfortunately, was dead, but it was fascinating to see his perfect little velvet coat and his huge spade like paws.

The next day we set off again and went to Whitby which had changed beyond recognition from how I remembered it.....sometimes it's better to leave fond memories as just that! It was incredibly busy so, after a spot of lunch, we travelled over to Scarborough where we spent a lovely evening having a sail on a "pirate" ship, a walk on the beach...I had a paddle of course!...losing a few pounds in the arcade (what is the appeal of putting 2p pieces into a machine and getting different ones out again as they fall off the ledge? Bizarre, but fun!) and having a delicious dinner. The moon was full and the light falling onto the sea was picture postcard perfect.

Next day we carried on to Filey and had a wander around the small town and along the promenade before the mandatory fish and chip lunch! Next was a trip to a local bird and animal sanctuary which was quite small but very well run. Koon Koon pigs (one was orange and black!), Alpacas, donkeys and ponies were all keen to eat the food pellets which we had bought at the entrance....these guys all recognised the white paper bags! It was nice to see turkeys, geese and chickens who were not destined for the dinner table and there were lots of smaller birds to admire as well. It was also good to see masses and masses of butterflies flittering amongst the wild flowers alongside lots of bees. We called it a day then, as we both had sore feet after all the walking we had done over the last few days, and wended our way home "the long way round" with no motorways in sight. It was a short break, but a much needed one.

This last week has been a mixture of relaxing at home and making samples for a new kit which I have designed for QVC as well as preparing for my workshop at Topaz which was yesterday.

On tuesday I had fed the birds as usual and, after most of the pigeons had flown off, I noticed one of them hopping along the ledge and looking rather odd. I took a closer look and my stomach wrenched when I saw the state that he was in. His entire tail had gone, his back and neck were almost bald and his left leg and foot were dangling and obviously broken. The pigeons are all very different and some are pretty tame, but this one would not let me get near enough to catch him, so all I could do was to put food near to him. He ate a little and then stood looking at me as if asking me to help him.....I talked quietly to him to try and calm him but couldn't do any more. He stumbled off and I guessed that he was going to find a quiet place and would soon pass away. As we have seen a hawk grabbing a pigeon before, we guessed that this had been what had attacked this poor chappie by the look of his injuries and the huge loss of feathers.

Well, before you get too depressed (those of you who are as soft as we are anyway!).....the good news is that two days later he reappeared, still looking like an oven ready chicken and hobbling about, but much brighter. He was back again this afternoon and is obviously a real little fighter, there are even signs that new feathers are coming through on his back. It's amazing just how much pain and injury these little creatures can withstand - we would keel over I think! So, I shall keep you posted on his well being and, fingers crossed, his tail will grow back so that he can, at least, balance a little better.

Yesterday, of course, I was at Topaz, teaching a workshop featuring stamping and using Distress inks to create skyscapes. It was great fun and the ladies all did really well and made some great cards. There were a few sharp intakes of breath when I said that we would be doing a little hand drawing of fences, but they all managed it! There were definitely some converts to distressing I'm pleased to say! David took a picture of everyone with their creations so I shall post that one soon.

Well, that is a short round up of how life has been here since I last posted. I'll be busy getting things ready for next weekend's demonstration at CardCraft in Lancaster with some lovely K&Co Peppermint Twist papers to use along with my Christmas stamps but we may manage to squeeze in a day out or two as well! Until next time, take care everyone. Lindsay.

4 comments:

serena said...

Hi Lindsay

I just wanted to tell you how much i enjoyed getting messy yesterday. You always teach me new techniques. I really enjoy your classes. You and Sarh are fantastic.
Love Serena

jenandkath said...

Hi Lindsay
Sorry we dashed off before saying 'bye on Saturday but just wanted to say what a fabulous time we had at your workshop, we will be getting messy again trying out the distress inks we bought, thanks for the ideas you gave us.
Love Jen & Kath

Hazel (Didos) said...

Oh my goodness you pack so much into your time.Sounds like you have been having a blast.
WOW I would love to go to Whitby, just cause of Dracula!! Gory me!
I too spent all my time in Blackpool when I was younger putting 2ps in to the machine things.
Take Care and I will call soon, Hazelxox

Lindsay Mason said...

Hi Jen and Kath, you cracked it! Thanks for leaving me such a kind comment and glad you enjoyed the afternoon. Your cards were great. Thank you Serena, you are always so enthusiastic it's great. Hazel, just seen the pics of Jake and Tom - they look very grown up indeed! Lindsay x