About Me

I'm a freelance artist, designer and demonstrator and have been involved in arts and craft my whole life in one way or another. I design stamps for top British company Personal Impressions, under the "Lindsay Mason Designs" brand, as well as papers, templates and other crafting products. I'm a certified Ranger Educator and my first book,"Stamping", was published in 2009. I also design regular projects for Crafts Beautiful magazine and have made guest appearances from time to time on QVC. I've recently joined You Tube under the name of LindsayMason1000 where I'm posting short technique videos and you can buy my paintings and hand crafted pieces from my Etsy shop. My work takes me all around the country demonstrating stamping, papercrafts and general inkiness! When I'm not working, I love gardening, church & community activities, nature watching, journalling, music and theatre and just relaxing at home. Email me at: ljm.design1@virginmedia.com

Wednesday 12 May 2010

At last!

Hello all, and apologies for being sooo long in posting! Our Scottish trip was almost a fortnight ago now, but when we got back I had to hit the ground running with my tightest deadlines to date. I got the vital work done and then got on with the merely important things! Lol!
Anyway, what a wonderful time we had in Scotland. We drove up to Dundee, stopping off at Gretna where we called at the nearest place to get a coffee which turned out to be an outlet centre. It was a lovely sunny day so we spent an hour strolling around and I bought a much needed pair of shoes (half price!) before we set off again. It's about a five hour'ish journey but the Sat Nav added an extra forty five minutes by refusing to acknowledge the road our hotel was on and sending us miles out of our way! As David said, we knew we had gone too far when we asked for directions and were answered in Norwegian!!! Lol! We eventually arrived and, after a quick change and a coffee we went out to find the sea - we knew it was nearby, but it was very hard to get to. Along the way we stopped to take a few pictures of this amazing phenomenon in the sky. I had only been looking at similar pictures on the tv a few days before...it isn't a rainbow but something similar caused by ice crystals in the sky being hit by sunlight at a particular angle. I think that is right anyway! It was incredibly beautiful and the camera just couldn't capture the full effect.We finally reached the sea, and strolled along the shoreline looking into rock pools (nothing seemed to be living in them!) and me paddling in the freezing water. As you can see, the light here was incredible with a beautiful clarity and dramatic depth. I was so pleased with this photograph - one of the best I've ever taken I think, even though I more or less pointed and clicked. As you can tell, I was enjoying myself and it was especially good to have David with me to share all the wonderful scenery. I've been up to Kitty Krafts in Broughty Ferry several times but always by train so have never had the chance to have a good look around the area before.
Although you can't really tell, this is us! I was taking a shot of the sea when I saw our shadows, so I switched my attention to those instead - wish I really did have long legs like that (well, maybe not quite that long!) . Next day I was at Kitty Krafts run by Louise and Ross. It was a busy old day meeting familiar people and new customers alike. Hazel had texted me to say that she couldn't come along after all as she had hurt her foot, so that was the only downside of the day. However, a big hello to everyone who did come along - Punum, I haven't forgotten your request and Personal Impressions are sorting out postcards as I write, so I shall send you one as soon as I have them.
As soon as the demonstration had finished we set off again, this time driving down to Jedburgh on the Scottish Borders. We stayed at the Spread Eagle, a 500 year old family run hotel. Next morning we drove about twelve miles to Kelso where I was demonstrating at Mayfield Garden centre. What a busy day this turned out to be! I met some wonderful, enthusiastic ladies as well as some very patient men! I'd hardly time to take pictures on either day, but here is a very simple card using my Men's Silhouette stamp set (PICS061). I stamped the image onto white card using a Versamark Watermark pad and also swiped a bit of the ink below the man to ground him. I had mixed a scoop of gold Perfect Pearls with some black embossing powder and used this on the image. Once embossed and cooled, I simply swooshed some Distress ink from the image outwards to create the misty look behind him - a mix of Weathered Wood and Old Paper. This card features a background made using Ink Potion no 9 and Impress re-inkers over Personal Impressions coated gloss card which I then overstamped with the fairy and the dandelions from my Flower Silhouette set (PICS057) using a black Archival ink pad. I restamped the fairy using a Watermark pad and applied Pearl Shimmer embossing powder. The scroll on the left was made using an EK Success punch: Scroll and Dots.Not sure what I was doing in this picture but it looks a bit scary! As you can see, I had an enormous area to work on, but I still managed to make a mess!

We left Kelso feeling very uplifted and made the long journey home. We saw lots of wildlife on all the various legs of our trip....unfortunately, apart from the birds, it was all dead! We had never seen so many creatures killed on the roads, including, very sadly, two deer on the central reservation just a few yards apart. Must have been a nasty shock for the drivers too.
All in all a great trip with mostly wonderful weather and always beautiful surroundings. Now I must get on to my second post with pictures of last weekend! By the way, I still can't get the yellow off my last post....I was using the spellchecker which I had not used before, and no matter what I do it will not convert the background back to white. I shan't be using it again! Lindsay

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this stamp! It's stunning. Simple, but very very effective. I must buy it! Love the pictures by the sea.

Hazel (Didos) said...

Wish I could have made it but even if my foot had been ok ended up having a horrible weekend with poor ill TOm. He had that norovirus and was so ill. Ended up at the local hospital twice on the Sunday!! Argh!!!
Hope all is well with you, Love Hazelxoxox