About Me

I'm a freelance artist, designer and demonstrator and have been involved in arts and craft my whole life in one way or another. I design stamps for top British company Personal Impressions, under the "Lindsay Mason Designs" brand, as well as papers, templates and other crafting products. I'm a certified Ranger Educator and my first book,"Stamping", was published in 2009. I also design regular projects for Crafts Beautiful magazine and have made guest appearances from time to time on QVC. I've recently joined You Tube under the name of LindsayMason1000 where I'm posting short technique videos and you can buy my paintings and hand crafted pieces from my Etsy shop. My work takes me all around the country demonstrating stamping, papercrafts and general inkiness! When I'm not working, I love gardening, church & community activities, nature watching, journalling, music and theatre and just relaxing at home. Email me at: ljm.design1@virginmedia.com

Thursday 16 February 2012

Canvasses & Tags

I feel very relaxed at this moment, as I have put everything away except the kit that I'm taking away with me this coming weekend - samples are all done, workshops are prepped and, today, I finished some drawings that I am taking down with me for Personal Impressions. Feels good. Tomorrow is going to be a day to forget about work, except for packing everything in the evening, and relax a bit before the busy few days ahead.
I'll be demonstrating on the Personal Impressions stand as usual, as well as teaching three workshops - one with my friend and colleague, Andy Skinner. We have a really large stand with several demo counters. As usual myself and Tim Holtz will be on the stand as well as the lovely Rachel Grieg. Dyan Reaveley will also be on the stand to demonstrate her new Dylusion ranges. So there will be lots of techniques to watch and lots of new designs to look at. It's the annual chance to catch up with everyone, though it goes by in a whirlwind and often there's not much chance to have a proper chat. I will take as many pictures as I can before my camera batteries run out!
I'm not showing any more of the new stamps until after the show now, but thought you might like to see a few more of the things that I've been making. This canvas started as a background made with Martha Stewart paints that my sister Heather
created. She then made a pattern using the MS stencil film (I love this product as it's easy to cut and to peel the backing off and sticks really well until you want to peel it away) and dabbed black paint through and around it to create a somewhat abstract building effect.
Heather's idea had been that "Humbert & Spider Boy" could be added to the canvas...sort of a Gothic street gang! I stamped, coloured and cut the characters out and adhered them using Multi Matte Medium (another must have product) which I also used to seal them as well. I moved some of the elements round (the dog and the bats) and drew extra details, such as the dog lead, back in with a fine pen. I drew the moon and stars with an Inkssentials white pen and added my favourite spiders using a fine pen to draw the silky thread and their legs before placing black gems on as their bodies. Mad and bad but fun!
Next are some more of the tags that I've been having loads of fun making. They have been a real treat to make. The tag on the left features a fairy with Zentangled wings and a Zentangle heart - both from a set that I haven't posted details of yet. Next is Melissa. The third tag is using two of Andy's new sets - the background set is really useful. I've added Glossy Accents over the fish for a really wet fishy gleam. The righ hand one features my Building Blocks set and words cut from my Creative Thoughts stamp set.
By the way, I've photographed all these against sheets of MME Kraft Funday "papers" (card really!) which I am becoming very keen on! Next is another collaboration between Heather and I - I cut these funky spirals from the stencil film and Heather painted the background and added the stencilled colour. I used Gwendoline (without blackbirds) and added words using my Alphadigit block stamp. Two TH Gamespinners finished this one. The last canvas I'm sharing baffled me a bit to begin with as Heather decided to go for a heart design and surprised me by painting a large one that almost filled the canvas! She added MS glitter paint dots (there are great nozzles that attach to the paints to allow you create dimension) and rubbed more of the glitter over the edges with her finger. I think that Heather decided I needed a challenge! After a bit of thought, two Corked Vials filled with sparkle, a little white pen work, a touch more MS glitter paint, a Word Key and some ribbon this became one of my favourites of the canvasses! Heather hasn't seen the finished article yet, so I hope you like it sis!
Well, that's all from me for today. I am going to put my feet up now as I have a sore bum from sitting on a fairly hard bench for the whole day!

3 comments:

Joanne said...

The SISTER ACT rocks again. You guys amaze me. So darn clever you have produced tears on my cheeks again.
Hugs Joanne xx

Artyjen said...

Loved the "Heads in a spin" canvas ;)
Hope it all goes well at Stitches. Thanks for sharing your creations.
xoxo Sioux

Redanne said...

Your work never fails to amaze me, truly inspirational. Love the heads in a spin canvas and Andy's stamps are v. good too. How I envy you being all those other wonderful designers. Have fun!