About Me

I'm a freelance artist, designer and demonstrator and have been involved in arts and craft my whole life in one way or another. I design stamps for top British company Personal Impressions, under the "Lindsay Mason Designs" brand, as well as papers, templates and other crafting products. I'm a certified Ranger Educator and my first book,"Stamping", was published in 2009. I also design regular projects for Crafts Beautiful magazine and have made guest appearances from time to time on QVC. I've recently joined You Tube under the name of LindsayMason1000 where I'm posting short technique videos and you can buy my paintings and hand crafted pieces from my Etsy shop. My work takes me all around the country demonstrating stamping, papercrafts and general inkiness! When I'm not working, I love gardening, church & community activities, nature watching, journalling, music and theatre and just relaxing at home. Email me at: ljm.design1@virginmedia.com

Wednesday 11 September 2013

Show time

I was quite happy to be ensconced in my workroom today, looking out at the rain pelting down and bouncing off the pavement. It's been pretty non stop, so Thomas and Tara have taken the odd chance to rush outside in a moment's let up, only to be wanting to be let in a couple of minutes later.
I've been making the last couple of samples today and then packing my case ready for tomorrow, the first day of the Event City show in Manchester. Do say hello if you're visiting the show - I'll be demonstrating on the Card-Io stand. Here are a couple of the latest things I created.....
.....this little guy is on my "Nicicles as Icicles" stamp set along with the snowman that I painted onto my sweatshirt (see an earlier post). The "snow" is kitchen towel - the non inked variety for a change! I love the font that I cut using a Die-Versions set called "Tickled Pink", it's a great size for tags, cards or scrapbooking.
I realised I'd been using a lot of blues in my backgrounds this last week, so I made a conscious effort to go down a different colour route when I was using my "Snowy Scenes" set.....
 .....I used water colour paper (I'm really liking using the torn water colour paper effect at the moment!) and created the scene very simply with the stamps...no masking required on this particular version. I thought that rather than the whole white out of a fully snowy landscape I'd colour the fields in green before adding snow in certain areas using white gesso. The two snowflakes were cut using the Die-Versions Sweet Petites Snowflake die from stiff white card which I glittered with Rock Candy Distress glitter before sweeping a touch of Frayed Burlap ink across the edges. 
I'm afraid the card blank itself wasn't the best quality one which is why it looks a little wonky!
I'll finish with another tag, this one featuring the grumpy Elf that I painted onto my Tee shirt last week......
 .....he really does deserve to have the Bah Humbug words next to him! I also used one of the Die-Versions Sweet Spots to stencil Jingle Bells very lightly in the background. My favourite bit of this tag though is the ribbon! Well, it's the technique really! I used the new Goosebumps spray from Tsukineko to spritz the ribbon first before drying it and then adding lots of ink. The Goosebumps adds a texture which also acts as a resist so it gives a very different effect to the ribbon. It looks more interesting in real life! Brilliant new sprays and I'll be using them at the show.
Well, I've had an early, very early for me, dinner so that I can just relax for the rest of the evening and be ready for a reasonably early night before my early start tomorrow. I've just got a plate and a pan to wash up (Singapore vermicelli noodle stir fry!), a hot shower to get rid of the last of the ink stains (I hope), the kettle to switch on to make a steaming coffee and then it's relaxing on the sofa in the PJ's until bed time. Lovely!
So, hope to see some of you over the next few days...looking forward to it!

7 comments:

misteejay said...

What lovely creations Lyndsey. I love your 'Nicicles'.

Toni xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Have fun - hoping to get over sometime so will look forward to seeing your samples! Chrisxx

Paul B said...

Have fun at the show :) Your tag samples are brilliant. Love the snowman with the zipped tummy. And I know what you mean about falling into comfort zones with colours and having to purposefully shake ourselves out of it. It's amazing what you create when you do. Pxx

Diane said...

Fab samples as always Lindsay !! Boy its turned very wet and chilly here !!

hugs Diane xx

Redanne said...

Hi Lindsay, it was lovely to see you yesterday at Event City and see all these wonderful creations in real life. Thanks so much for sharing the techniques with the Goosebumps. Hugs, Anne x

Susanne said...

Love all of your samples especially the scene one. Really sorry but am going to miss seeing you on Saturday at AMOM as have to take by daughter to University, am sure there will be some tears as she is my baby and leaving the nest for the 1st time :( hope to catch up with you soon :)

Anonymous said...

Lovely cards